ELITE GAMING LIVE

Playing for Success at QPA

Video games are immensely popular, particularly among teens and young adults.  Many players spend hours gaming, but have you ever wondered why they enjoy playing them so much? Have you ever wondered how this activity may impact players mentally or emotionally? The answer may surprise you. Most adultsespecially parentstend to dislike video games because they can lead to addiction.

However, most people don’t look at the positive aspects of video games. According to the National Institute of Health, playing video games can actually improve mental abilities. Gaming can help with both cognition and impulse control. This refers to the ability to process complex information and to stop themselves from engaging in a certain rash or aggressive behavior toward others.

What is Elite Gaming Live?

According to Mr. Michael Lancaster, gym instructor at Queens Preparatory Academy and director of the school’s gaming program, Elite Gaming Live is a platform for “educated gamers and those who are still learning about the craft.”

It is a product of “STEEAM” which is an acronym for science, technology, entrepreneurship, engineering, art, and math. These concepts come together to form an interactive medium that forces gamers to actively learn new skills and solve problems in unique situations. These skills are an essential part of a child’s growth mindset. 

Jesse Schell, an American video game designer and the CEO of Schell Games claims, “A game is a problem-solving activity, approached with a playful attitude.” So, even though the player is in front of a computer, playing with figures moving around on a screen, there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes. As the person plays, they’re learning skills that can actually be transferred to the real world. 

Positives and Negatives of Gaming

QPA math teacher Mr. Sepulveda also believes that playing video games can be positive for students. In fact, he explains, “Mathematics appears all over video games. From the shapes used to create maps, the angles and distance you measure to run and throw objects, and even helping the way we think. Gaming and math also help teens become critical thinkers.”

Mathematics appears all over video games. Gaming and math also help teens become critical thinkers. However, students must be careful and not let video games take over their lives. They should set limits for themselves so they can experience other aspects of life.[

— QPA math teacher, Mr. Sepulveda

On the other hand, Mr. Sepulveda also cautions that students “must be careful and not let video games take over their lives.” As he sees it, “Finding a good mix of video games and outdoor activities helps create a more rounded individual since it is easy to fall into a video game hole and play for hours. Students should try to set limits for themselves so they can experience other aspects of life.”

Where developing gaming skills are concerned, Mr. Lancaster makes it clear that the goal at Elite Gaming Live is to “support and encourage students from elementary to high school to hone their skills while preparing for the future.” They believe in fostering educational opportunities through video games that also promote interactions, and building a community to support this demographic.

Students must set limits when playing video games

Mr. Lancaster also focuses on teaching positive life lessons to gamers. “Our values are having an admirable give-first mentality, being encouraging and inspiring, and being passionate about providing opportunities for children,” he shares.  “It’s about  being connectors and being in tune with the people we serve.” He believes the values are beneficial and tries to provide this support to gamers across the platform.

Careers in STEEAM and Gaming

Not surprisingly, in today’s technological environment, STEEAM  is the foundation of most of the careers in demand in the workforce. Additionally, STEEAM has brought a significant amount of development to countries all over the world, so students who apply themselves in these areas can be assured of a successful future. According to Ms. M., Queens Preparatory Academy career counselor, “A career is what you make it, in the sense that a career is where you put all your dedication, hard work, energy, and even money.” 

Additionally, this platform supports a variety of careers:  audio engineering,  narrative design, video game artistry, video game design, video game production, video game writing, video game programming, engineering and production, cloud engineering, live streaming, animation, and even partaking in video game competitions all across the world.

Colleges with STEEAM and Gaming Programs

There are many colleges in the United States that offer majors in STEEAM and gaming. Some of these are: the  New Jersey Institute of Technology, York College, Vassar College, Lafayette College, Ohio State University in Columbus, Bellevue University in Bellevue, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to mention but a few.

So the facts are clear. Interest in digital games and gaming should not be seen as negative. Video games help teach individuals how to react to events faster, solve problems in a limited amount of time, and employ better decision–making skills for the future.