GSA at QPA

Gay and Straight Students Support each other in Queens Prep Community

The Gay-straight Alliance is a student-run organization that focuses on uniting and supporting LGBTQ+ youth to embrace who they are, while having a positive impact in their schools and communities. 

The Gay-straight Alliance has been a part of  Queens Preparatory Academy for over three years. The association’s main goal is to make schools safe for students who are struggling to be themselves, and promote tolerance among the student body.

The GSA  meetings and events at Queens Preparatory Academy help students have a better understanding of sexuality and gender, while helping the school be a more welcoming, inclusive, and safe space for those confident enough to be themselves.

What is the GSA?

The first Gay-straight Alliance was established in November, 1988 at Concord Academy in Concord, Massachusetts. It was created by a gay history teacher named Kevin Jennings and a straight student named Meredith Sterling. 

Sterling hated how gay students were treated, and was courageous enough to do something about it. She and Jennings were inspired to create the first ever GSA club that recruited both LGBTQ+ and straight students to support and motivate each other. 

Soon, other schools did the same, and eventually, even the United States Secretary of Education Arne Duncan showed his support by releasing a video about the GSA’s work, and its benefits to students. 

This demonstrates how hosting the Gay-straight Alliance club is amazing for a school’s development. It helps students be  better educated about sexual orientation, and learn more about self-identity and fair treatment, regardless of sexuality or gender. 

Joining the GSA

The Gay-straight Alliance created a community that helps both gay and straight students  connect with others with the same challenges, and they work to support each other. 

GSA at QPA holds meetings in Room 320 every Thursday at lunchtime. They discuss additional measures to make the school a more friendly and welcoming place for students who are conscious of their sexuality. Anyone can join!

This organization helps people to feel accepted and shamelessly be themselves. You can join them to show support and even help with projects. Like the poster they created in their last meeting that expresses how important it is to be sexually aware.

With your influence and ideas, you could help enrich and spread the word about the many topics they explore, such as equality and inclusivity here at QPA. Join meetings today!