QPA Lit

The Student News Site of Queens Preparatory Academy

QPA Lit

QPA Lit

Celebrating Jerky Turkey Day

Giving Thanks at QPA
  • Student volunteers at work

• Students enjoying the Jerky Turkey celebration

• QPA’s Tree of Thanks

• Dance to the Music

• Student volunteers at work

• Time to eat

• Setting Up

What’s Jerky Turkey Day?

Jerky Turkey Day is a day unlike any other at Queens Preparatory Academy. Celebrated on the day before Thanksgiving break, it’s a day of  anticipation, excitement, and happiness for the entire school community. It’s also a day that’s set aside to build a sense of togetherness among the students, staff, and administration. It’s a day for giving thanks for all we have, enjoying each other, and creating memories that can last a lifetime. 

Dancing to the Music (Ranaa Hassan)

Knowing fully well that not everyone is able to celebrate with their family during Thanksgiving, Jerky Turkey Day provides the opportunity for students to do so with their QPA family. According to QPA’s Dean Hargrove, the day is always celebrated with many fun activities for everyone to enjoy. This year, there was the decorating of classroom doors, games in each classroom, music, dancing, and lots of eating and drinking.

According to Parent Coordinator Ms. Hooper, Jerky Turkey Day has been a QPA tradition for over 17 years. The celebration is held in the hallways of the school building, which are transformed for the event.  There’s also food from each culture donated by parents for everyone to enjoy. This year’s celebration featured the QPA Modern Band playing to entertain everyone, along with the DJ playing music from each culture represented in the school.

Words from our Students

A few days before the event, we spoke with students from each grade and gained a profound understanding of their experiences and what Jerky Turkey means to them.

Celebrating Together

Behind the scenes of everything, the planning committees and dedicated staff members worked tirelessly to orchestrate the success of this year’s Jerky Turkey celebration. Dean Hargrove highlighted that Jerky Turkey means a lot to him because it creates an opportunity for both “students and staff who do not celebrate Thanksgiving to come together” to do so.

Setting Up

He also claims Jerky Turkey means two things to him: work and fun. But above all, creating room for the students to have fun and eat lots of food is his ultimate goal.

Math teacher Mr. Sepulveda also claims that, “Jerky turkey is a way for our school to come together a little more. I think every year the students forget that we are a family, but we do spend more time here together than we do at home, so it’s nice to be reminded that we’re a little family at school as well.”

Guidance Counselor Ms. Edwards agrees that, “Jerky turkey means coming together with my family outside of my family, which is my school community,” and as far as expectations go, she made it clear her expectations are the same. “I want all the students to have a good time,” she said. “I want them to make new friends, learn new dances, and play video games, and enjoy themselves.”

Let’s Wrap up the Turkey

QPA’s Jerky Turkey celebration shows that many of our members find comfort in the sense of community and belonging that the school provides. Ms. Edwards’ perspective highlights the importance of fostering relationships and creating a supportive environment for everyone.

Additionally, her expectations for students emphasize the value of socialization, enjoyment, and personal growth within the school community. Furthermore, Jerky Turkey at Queens Preparatory Academy has become a popular tradition for Thanksgiving, bringing students and staff together to celebrate and enjoy a delicious meal. This further strengthens the sense of friendship and unity within the school, making it a welcoming and inclusive place for everyone.